Work continued on the regeneration area adjacent to west Waratah Street, and in the adjoining swamp. Privet, Deadly Nightshade, Japanese Honeysuckle and Blackberry were targeted. Plans for next year were discussed; the regeneration areas adjacent to Waratah Street need lots of attention! Then it was time for an end-of-year morning tea.
Lots of activity this November. On November 9th & 11th members of the bushcare group and visitors participated in fauna surveys around the site. On the actual bushcare day, Sunday 18th, members of the group participated in the Spring 2018 Wild Pollinator Count survey. See Archives for the results of these surveys. As our convenor emailed, “Congratulations to all!”
On the same Sunday the group also squeezed in some regeneration work on the Waratah Street western regeneration area. The weeds, as well as the natives, have been enjoying the rain.
It now looks like the Lawson Butterfly Project will get underway in autumn of next year, so that’s another exciting project to look forward to.
We have extended our formal hours for each third Sunday of the month session: 9am – 12noon. However, members are always welcome to come and go as suits.
Work continued in Waratah Street, removing Privet, Blackberry and Japanese Honeysuckle from the woodland and swamp there. Some natural regeneration of Hakea sp. is occurring.
September saw us working again in the bushland adjacent to Waratah Street. A carpet of Privet seedlings remains a challenge here. Willow, Blackberry, flowering Broom and Privet were treated in the Lawson Creek upper swamp.
We continued working in the regen area adjacent to east Waratah Street. Lots of Privet to remove but also some nice regeneration happening. The small Australian marsupial Antechinus has been busy here too!
In the recently released report Lawson and Cataract Creeks received ‘Fair’ ratings and the rest of the Erskine Creek catchment was rated “Good” to “Excellent”! This is an improvement for Lawson Creek, which only got a “Poor” last year. We had detected an improvement when we did macroinvertebrate sampling last October and it looks like this has held up into 2018. The report should be posted on https://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/waterquality soon.
This session the group worked at the eastern end of the unformed Waratah Street section, treating Turkey Rhubarb, Privet, Japanese Honeysuckle and Broom. It would seem that we have Sugar Gliders in the area, so that’s great! This area just used to be a forest of Privet, so removal of it may have enhanced the glider’s habitat and particularly feeding opportunities.
In June we continued with our regeneration site work near Waratah Street. The Leptospermum polygalifoliums (tea-trees) and native grasses ares doing well here and the Privet is under control.
We had an avian visitor, a Grey Fantail, Rhipidura albiscapa. S/he was constantly buzzing us (inquisitive?!), and also snatching insects in this sunny spot. Previously about the only bird life seen in this area were Bulbuls feeding on Privet seed. An Eastern yellow robin (Eopsaltria australis) stopped to admire our work…and to have a feed too!
A recce done on Friday 22/6/18 reveals that it is possible to walk through the wall of weeds that runs adjacent to the southern edge of Waratah Street, with a bit of bending, ducking and scrambling. Privet and Blackberry dominate. An occasional good fern and wattle were also found. We might start some work in there soon.
In May the Bushcare group continued with the work commenced in April, treating weeds in the regeneration site adjacent to Waratah Street. Our Bushcare Officer is pleased with the progress in this area and further expansion of the work here is being considered, with a “recce” planned.
It’s also good to hear that the BMCC Bush Regeneration Team has been working along Lawson Creek in the carpark area, and that contractors have been working near the RMS detention basin and through the swamp on Lawson Creek.
This month we resumed work on our site immediately adjacent to the unformed section of Waratah Street. This area, normally quite damp, is now drying out a bit, due to the decreased rainfall of the last year. The natural ferns are struggling and the weeds Deadly Nightshade, Privet and Montbretia are doing well. We spent the time consolidating recovered natural bushland areas and weeding around remnant areas of good bushland. The same area is depicted in the post of July, 2017. A challenging site!